My Brief Understanding of Human Work Cycle


Hmm...

One of the things that surprised me was the way some of the younger Elings went to this thing called a 'School' and spend hours doing something called 'Education'. They are supposed to learn things just sitting in an enclosure with a 'Teacher' supposedly imparting knowledge. Well, from where I come you 'Did' something in order to learn 'it'. Nahk told me that was the scenario earlier here too. And then came the concept of 'Study-Work-Retire'.

Nahk explains that Elings are supposed to 'Study' and gain knowledge in their formative years, 'Work' during the productive years and finally 'Retire'. Moreover, Elings are supposed to compensate for the knowledge they gain during school by paying the educators. Then during the 'Work' period they have to work their 'A#$' off and get compensated measly. Finally, they are supposed to save enough to last them through their retirement age!

I may be from a different planet but this does sound fishy to me. My take on the subject?



- The amount that the Elings pay to the so-called schools, colleges & University simply does not seem worth the investment. It seems that the educators were earlier sucked in to believing that getting a degree will land them a cushy job. Since they are already in the system they seem to be continuing the scheme. Nahk researched and found out that the college graduates typically get higher paying jobs and are expected to earn $800,000 more over the course of a lifetime compared to workers who didn't go to college. But with four years of college costing $104,000 on average (including books and tuition) and the average college student graduating with approximately $23,000 in debt,  it's time to rethink the value of of higher education.

- The 'Work' era is still a mystery that I am trying to crack. Why would you not do a business or 9-5 job but be interested in putting in 60+ hours of work each week? It simply belies logic in the long run!

- Aah, the retirement age. In my brief stay so far over here I have seen a significant number of Elings looking forward to retire. But when I actually saw the percentage of 'Happy Retirees' I was shocked. It seems they were more healthier working than they are retired. Moreover, since they don't earn, they don't seemed to be respected as much as the 'Old Wise Men' of an earlier era.

From experience, I have a feeling that things are going to get worse. I hope not, but the future does seem bleak. But like Nahk says, there is day after night so there shall be happiness once the gloomy part ends. Well, I hope he is right. I really hope so...

Popular Posts