The Embraer ERJ-145 - An old bird still flying high!

Yesterday was the first time I travelled by the Embraer ERJ-145. I had never travelled in such a small plane earlier and to be frank I wasn't looking forward to it as its reputation is kind of checkered. But now after taking the flight I must I am surprised that this model can have so many critics!

Embraer ERJ-145

After giving it some I thought why did I like it when most my friends and acquaintances were skeptics, I realized that more than the plane itself, it was the environment that it created that appealed to me. It took me back to a time when air-travel was much easier.

The fact that this is only a 50-seater jet meant that the line at the Gate was much shorter than that you would experience with the big Boeings and Airbus models these days.

This model also had a 2-1 seating arrangement which meant less discomfort when you wanted to move into/out of your seat.

Source: Airliner.net
And when you have fewer co-passengers in the cabin, the probability of catching an air-borne disease is reduced significantly. Add to that better attention by the flight attendants and you have an flight all-together.

Some might complain about the low-ceiling of the air-craft, less over-head space for the carry-on luggage, a loud engine and a not-so perfect track record. But what we miss is the fact that the ERJ 145 family of aircraft has no reported crashes or fatalities due to mechanical malfunction in over 15 million hours (as of June 2009) of flight time for the fleet.

As far as the other complaints go, I would take them any day instead of having crowded lines at the gates and the long time it takes to get off the bigger plane after it lands.

If you have never travelled in this model before, don't take my word for it. I was a sceptic like you earlier but after having rode this bird I am on the other side of the fence.

Popular Posts