How to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus Plus

Recently, I decide to uninstall the antivirus program on my system (McAfee Plus) in lieu of another one. As one would normally do in such a scenario I proceeded to the Control Panel and then to 'Uninstall a Program' utility in Windows.

To my utter dismay, it was NOT displayed in that list! My next option was to delete it from the registry. Unfortunately, I was unable to pick it out confidently from the registry.

Searching on the internet, made me realize this was a common problem for most users of this version of McAfee! Hence, I decided to copy down the steps here for future references of others:


  1. Download McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool from McAfee.
  2. Save the tool (MCPR.exe) in your desktop and then close any opened Windows, including the browser that may have the McAfee SiteAdvisor program.
  3. Execute by double-clicking MCPR.exe from the desktop.
  4. Reboot the system when prompted to complete the removal of the antivirus program.
  5. Just a word of advice before I end. Removing antivirus by McAfee should be done only if you are having problems or if you plan to use another virus protection for Windows.

Popular Posts